Fresh herbs from the garden, colorful vegetables and a light cashew cream are the main reasons why I love this Lasagne so much. I reduce the dairy products by using my own cashew cream instaed of the classic Lasagne Sauce. I’m reducing my dairy consumption since a few years and I really realize that the best diet is a vegan one. But for me it is important to eat cheese because I really love it.
I’m only using cheese from high qualified organic brands to make sure the animals life was species-appopriate.
Vegetable Lasagne with Cashew Cream
5 fresh tomatoes
1 red paprika
1 yellow paprika
1 large leek
400g canned tomatoes
1/2 bunch of tyme, fresh (or 5 tsb dry)
6 stems oregane, fresh (or 2 tsb dry)
4 tbsp olive oil
1/3 tsp Chili flakes
fresh basil for garnish
optional: 4 garlic gloves
optional: 100g ewe’s cheese
500g spelt lasagne noodles
2 balls mozzarella
For the Cashew Cream:
100g cashew nuts
salt and pepper
- Wash the vegetables and cut all (except the tomatoes) in small cubes.
- Dash the tomatoes with hot water and pell them. Cut them also in cubes.
- Pick up the leaves from the Oregano and tyme. And cut the garliv if you use garlic.
- Heat the olive oil over high heat and fry the vegetables a few minutes.
- Add the fresh and canned tomatoes.
- Add the herbs, Chili flakes and garlic.
- Reduce the heat and let simmer for 15 minutes.
- Taste with salt.
- Preheat the oven on 160 degrees.
- Ground the cashew nuts for the sauce and heat up 100ml of water.
- Add 2 tbsp cashew “flour” and stir to avoid any lumps.
- Add water and cashew “flour” and so on until you get a creamy Sauce.
- Taste with salt and pepper.
- Grate the Parmesan and cut the Mozzarella.
- Cover the ground of a baking dish (mine is 33x22cm) with tomatoe Sauce, 2 tbsp cashew cream, optional ewe’ cheese and lay 4 Lasagne noodles on top.
- Then again: add tomatoe Sauce, 2 tbsp cashew cream, optional ewe’ cheese and lay 4 Lasagne noodles on top.
- Final cover the Lasagne with tomatoe Sauce, Mozzarella and Parmesan.
- Bake for 45 min. until the Lasagne get golden.
- Server with fresh basil or tyme.
This post is also available in: Deutsch